Welcome!

Welcome! Ultralight backpacking is my passion, and keeping up on new technologies, gear, and techniques relevant to UL backpacking is what floats my boat. I'm always looking for the lightest, most functional gear to improve a lightweight or ultralight backpacking kit, and report my impressions and field testing results here. For hikers wanting to keep up on the latest and greatest ultralight backpacking gear, this is a good place to hang out. Also, there is a lot of information here (and on our informational website Southwest Ultralight Backpacking) on useful techniques and backcountry etiquette -- food for thought for hikers wanting to lighten their load and their impacts.

My goal for Ultralight Insights is to understand, test, and report on new technologies and gear of interest to lightweight and ultralight backpackers. It's a passion after all, so we just plain enjoy talking about it. I hope readers will add their own wisdom and comments, respond to my questions, ask their own questions, and correct me if I get something wrong. Happy hiking! Will

Friday, August 17, 2018

GEAR REVIEW: Montbell Travel Umbrella


By Will Rietveld

The idea of using an umbrella for rain protection while hiking or backpacking seems a little absurd at first, but it’s actually quite functional.

I believe the idea first emerged with the GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella, which was sun-reflective and weighed about 8 ounces. That’s quite a bit of optional weight to add to one’s pack, but many hikers felt it was worth it to get relief from the hot sun.

I first tried an umbrella for day hiking, where weight is less of an issue, and found hiking in the rain less unpleasant, even fun, when the rain was not pounding on my head and running down over my face. I still wore a rain suit, but the umbrella made the experience more pleasant.

Then I discovered the Montbell Travel Umbrella, which weighs only 3 ounce,s and it got my attention. Carrying an umbrella this light is feasible as part of a lightweight or ultralight gear kit, if it is functional enough to justify the weight. That’s the topic of this gear review.

The Montbell Travel Umbrella weighs just 3 ounces. It is not UV deflecting, but it is available in white, which absorbs less heat. The opened diameter is slightly smaller than a standard umbrella.

Specifications and Features

Manufacturer
Montbell (www.montbellus.com
Product
Travel Umbrella
Dimensions
Opened diameter 34.6 inches; extended shaft length 20.5 inches; compacted length 9.1 inches
Fabric
7-denier Ballistic Airlight ripstop nylon with Polkatex DWR
Weight
Manufacturer specification 3 ounces, measured weight 3 ounces
MSRP
$52

Description

Montbell has a total of seven different umbrellas, ranging in weight from 3 to 7.1 ounces. The protected area, materials, and purpose vary, depending on your needs. Their Sun Block Umbrella is similar to the Chrome Dome. I focused on the 3-ounce Travel Umbrella because of its light weight and availability in white, which should keep it cooler underneath in the summer sun.

The Travel Umbrella has a telescoping shaft that opens in two stages. The canopy also opens in two stages; each spine is hinged and needs to be extended to full length. The collapsed umbrella fits into a carry sleeve that weighs just 0.05 ounce.

Field Testing

In the Southwestern US we carry our rain gear a lot more than we wear it. Precipitation is often just a brief shower, but heavy showers and hail are possible. It’s foolish to go on a mountain hike or backpacking trip without rain gear. The rain gear recommendation for our situation is to carry the lightest that will do the job.

The rainwear I use is an ultralight rain jacket (Berghaus Vapourlight Hypersmock, 3 ounces) plus Montbell Tachyon Pant, 1.9 ounces). The latter is actually a wind pant, but it does the job in light rain and wet vegetation, which I will write about in a separate review. The rain jacket and pant are sufficient from a minimalist’s point of view. The umbrella shown is not the Montbell Travel, and is standard sized.


I tested the Montbell Travel Umbrella over most of two hiking seasons, taking it along when there was a chance for rain. Over that period of time I got to test it in different amounts of rain and weather conditions.

My wife Janet uses an improvised  shoulder strap mount designed by friend Joan West to use her umbrella hands free. She's using the Montbell Sun Block umbrella, which is silver on top and black on the inside, with a sturdier shaft. Janet prefers an oversized inexpensive DriDucks rain jacket (about 5 ounces). The rain stopped and sun came out just before this photo was taken.


Assessment

So why carry an umbrella in addition to my normal rainwear? Basically it’s a comfort item. It’s darn nice not to have rain pounding on my head or hitting me in the face. 

I  found the Travel Umbrella nice for bivouacking when I choose to sit it out; I can crouch under it and keep most of myself and my pack dry.


Carrying an umbrella requires at least having one hand free, so collapsible trekking poles are handy so they can be stashed on a pack.

I used the Travel Umbrella in wind-driven rain above tree line, and found it to be sufficiently strong to withstand a moderate wind. It’s nice to angle the umbrella, and hold on tight, to keep the rain from smacking me on the head and face.

Of course, using an umbrella requires hiking in open space so it doesn’t catch on brush or tree limbs. It’s not compatible with bushwhacking!

I did not test the umbrella for sun protection since that is not normally an issue with the type of hiking I do.

Overall, I find the Travel Umbrella worth its 3-ounce weight. I specifically take it when showers are in the forecast, so I am more likely to use it, and I will be hiking on trails or open areas so it will be unobstructed.

This review is focused on using the Travel Umbrella for hiking and backpacking, but of course it is also handy to take for sporting events and even travel, which I believe is its original purpose.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. The 3oz is amazing although with the UL just 1.5oz more, the Long Tail 2.1oz more and the larger Trekking 2.3oz more; I'm debilitated by the choices... My only concern is the 6 rib count vs 8 ribs in the other MontBell umbrellas. Is the lower rib count that noticeable in use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect your evaluation of weight versus protected area and durability. My main focus is weight. I have found the Traveler unbrella to be sufficiently durable and provides enough protected area. At 3 oz its a no-brainer to take it along; if it weighed more I would be hesitant to carry it. Will

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your gear review on the Montbell Travel Umbrella! It's great to have insights into reliable travel accessories, especially for those unexpected rain showers during our adventures. Your attention to detail is impressive.

    Speaking of travel, when it comes to planning a trip, one thing that often concerns me is parking expenses at the airport. That's where Express Parking for "Cheapest Heathrow Airport Parking" comes into play. It's fantastic to find budget-friendly options that don't compromise on quality and security. Just as you've reviewed the umbrella for its practicality, finding affordable parking solutions can significantly enhance the overall travel experience. Keep up the excellent work with your reviews and travel tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased the Montbell Travel Umbrella for the PCT thanks to your review! I appreciate all the details and photos! Taking a look at the rest of your favorite gear posts now too. ◡̈

    ReplyDelete